Relocating your family and home to a new place can be an arduous task. In the absence of a proper planning and preparation it can prove to be very demanding, both physically and mentally. Here are some of the most terrific ideas to help you in making a smooth transition, without much stress and worries.
Plan your move
Arranging for the things and packing your stuff at the last minute could be very stress inducing for you. You would obviously not like to land up in your new place while worrying about the settlement of pending bills and issues of your previous house or the safe delivery of your possessions to your new place. Thus, it is always advisable to start planning for your move, well in advance, as there is so much to organize and so much to arrange for. Be systematic and organized in your approach. Try setting deadlines for yourself for completing particular tasks such as packing of the stuff or clearance of the present property bills and issues.
Sort out your stuff
It is important to sort out your things so that you take only that stuff along with you that you actually require. The unwanted stuff would unnecessarily eat up your precious time and money. Separate out the things that are easily replaceable or the ones that have not been used for a long time and you do not intend to use the same in future. Try reselling them at a good price. You can sell them at a garage sale, with the help of online websites or some commissioned agents. The rest of the stuff can be sent to a charitable organization or you can easily dump it.
Packing your stuff
Now that you have got an idea about the stuff to be packed, make arrangements for the packing supplies such as cardboard boxes, scissors, tape, markers and labels. The following tips will help you in the right packing.
- Avoid moving heavy furniture single-handedly. Slide them with the help of furniture pads, sliders or rugs to prevent damage to your flooring and the furniture piece itself.
- Do not pack fragile items without wrapping them in cloth, blankets or bubble wrap. Be particular about labeling ‘fragile items’ on the boxes containing breakable things and the direction in which they have to be picked up.
- Ensure that the boxes and cartons are in perfect condition and strong enough to carry your stuff.
- While packing the boxes, keep the heavier items at bottom.
- Carefully seal all the boxes and label them with respect to their contents so that you do not face much difficulty at the time of unpacking and arranging your stuff at your new house.
Arrange for the moving vehicle
It is very likely that all your possessions would not fit in your car. You will have to make arrangements for a proper vehicle to move them to your new residence. You can seek the services of any of the best removal companies as they have a fleet of specialized vehicles and trained professional for this purpose. They can also help you in packing and loading of the stuff. Alternatively, you can hire an independent truck. Consider the distance, charges and the reputation of the company in the service industry before hiring a moving vehicle.
Other useful tips
- You will have to make special arrangements for transportation of your pets especially when you are moving over a long distance.
- Try scheduling your move during the week when the services such as banks, utilities and mechanics are easily available in case you feel the need of any urgent assistance during the move.
- Filing of the change of the address with the post office needs to be done with well in time before moving to the new home.