Extensions, Conservatories and Additional Structures – When Do You Need Planning Permission In The UK?

Rules need to be expected in many cases by homeowners in the UK. There are important things to remember about additional structures, conservatories and extensions. Here is everything you need to know about the permissions.

Building Extensions

A planning permission will not be needed when:

  • Extensions cover a ground area within property boundary, without original house considered and the extension is not more than 50% of the property area.
  • Extension eaves are not higher than existing house eaves.
  • Any extension part will not be higher than existing home highest roof part.
  • Exterior work materials are similar in appearance to existing home, unless building conservatory.
  • Side extensions will not exceed four meters as height and will not be wider than the original home’s half width.

When living in a conservation area, an area considered as being of natural outstanding beauty, a World Heritage Site or a national park, extensions permits are not required if:

  • No house exterior part is cladded with pebbledash, timber, render, stone, artificial stone, tiles or plastic.
  • No extension part will extend beyond original house side elevation or principal elevation.
  • Extension is not higher than 4 meters or 1 storey heigh.
Related Article:  Practical advice on home remodeling

When living in homes that are listed buildings, there is a pretty good possibility that Listed Building Consent is necessary for absolutely all building operations. This is only the case when the building consent was granted in the past. The local planning office has to be visited in order to offer more information about the topic.

Building Conservatories

Conservatories that are attached to homes are normally treated as being home extensions so they need to respect those rules. When the conservatory is free standing, the considerations are the same as with greenhouses, garden sheds and similar other buildings.

Other Situations To Know About

When looking at other dwellings that are connected to the home, like the granny flat, a planning permission is going to be necessary whenever the unit is self-contained and separate. When not in such a situation, the same rules as with extensions are recommended. Just those limitations and restrictions have to be respected.

Related Article:  Use These Chemical-Free Building Materials In Your Next Project

If you are interested in converting the home or a part of it into more apartments or flats, you need planning permission in most situations. This is needed even in the event building work is not necessary because the official change is seen as a different use. If a part of the home or the entire home will be used for homeworking, planning permission is not always needed. However, this is going to depend based on use nature and scale. You need to check with the planning office.


When a demolition is needed and the home is in a conservation area, consent is necessary. Planning permissions for demolitions are also required when homes are located in an area of Village Character or Townscape. Although you might think that the permit is not needed, you still have to check and be sure that this is the case.

Tags: conservatories, extensions, permits, UK

Related Posts

Highly experienced editor for interior design magazines.
Previous Post Next Post