A roof protects you from harsh weather. A home can never be comfortable without proper roofing. As it protects you from harsh weather, it gets damaged and may need to be repaired. This is why it’s important to have the repair skills to handle this problem as soon as it knocks. You don’t have to be a roofing expert to repair your roof.
The most common problem areas as far as roofing is concerned include damaged shingles and the formation cracks on the roof or shingles. If you experience any leaks, one or a combination of these problems may be the cause. Here is a step by step guide on fix each of these roofing problems;
1. If you discover that parts of a shingle are missing, you will have to replace the whole shingle. Before you go to buy new ones, check whether there was any shingles left from the previous work on the roof. If there was nothing left, then you can buy new ones. Ensure that you select the perfect math. If no perfect match is present, choose the closest match.
2. Gather all the tools required. They include; utility knife, hammer, flat pry bar and a handful of nails.
3. The damaged shingles have to be removed before placing the new ones. Removal is done using the pry bar and the hammer. Slide the pry bar gently under the shingle above the shingle that is damaged and gently lift to detach it from the sealer strip. This exposes the nails beneath.
4. The pry bar is then slipped under the shingle to be removed as in step 3. After lifting to about a quarter of an inch, press the shingle downwards. This is done to pop up the nails to allow their removal using the hammer. Use this procedure to remove all the nails. After all the nails are out, remove the damaged shingle.
5. Slide in the brand new shingle. Secure it using four nails. The next shingle above the one already secured with nails is placed such that its nails go through the upper edge of the shingle below it. Carefully fit each shingle into the space left by the damaged shingle that was removed.
The main case of cracks on the roof is water clogging. Water clogs on the roof when the gutters are not functioning properly. The formation of pools of water on the surface of the roof leads to the development of cracks. To repair cracks, follow these steps;
1. Carefully examine your roof to find the exact location of the crack.
2. Using an absorbent cloth, soak up the water that has collected on to of the crack.
3. Using a knife, remove all the debris that is present in the gap created by the crack. Ensure that you do not aggravate the crack by digging too deeply.
4. Seal up the crack by applying roof cement.
Repeat these steps to seal all the cracks present in your roof. Once all the sealing is done, repair or replace your gutters to prevent roofing problem due to cracks from re-occurring.
With these simple steps, fixing the roof of your home will be like a walk in the park. You will save the money that would have been used to hire a roofing expert.